Tuesday 19 April 2016

How Minimalism Improved My Life


Minimalism simplified my life.

Initially, I was the girl who'd freak out if someone cleaned up my mess because then I wouldn't know where everything was. And for the first two decade of my life, I was fine the way I was.

My epiphany to join in the Minimalism revolution started because I went into a point where I was in a rut. My life was a mess in every way. I was confused, in a daze and didn't know what to do.

Though it didn't get myself out of my rut but it really helped me cope with life and manage my day to day chaos.

Here are the benefits I experience when becoming a Minimalist:

1. Day to day life is easier. 
Now, I almost always know where I keep my things! I made sure I have an assigned spot for everything. I don't have to rack my brain on what to use, what to wear or generally which item is better than the other because now I only have a few choices to choose from and all of them are a great choices!

Back then sometimes, it would take me half an hour to pick out my clothes. I would try them out and at times, end up not being happy with the end result. I realized I had a lot of clothes I "kind of" like and few that I love. But now, I can just grab and go! Cause now I only keep the clothes that I absolutely love and know look good in. It's definitely less than I had previously but I have to say I now look way better than I use to.

2. I spend less and regret less.
I now always have a list in my head of what I want to buy. It's never as spontaneous. I use to go to retail stores and thought "oh! Let's see what they have!". And end up regretting what I've bought...
But now (it may look spontaneous to some because I don't discuss to everybody what I intend to buy) when I go into a store, I would always go back to my list and check back what are the things I need. Though nowadays, I keep a physical list.

Also before buying anything, I would always ask myself "do I really need this?" or "When am I going to use this?" It really helps with my spending. I still love to shop though but I'm more careful with my spending.

3. My mind feels more calm.
As they say, "out of sight, out of mind". I really hold on to that belief because my mind felt less cluttered when my room was less cluttered. I don't get as frustrated easily and worry less because it's easier to find things I need when I need it.

And there's a sort of serenity feeling when you're in a clean room.

4. I like cleaning now.
I use to HATE cleaning back then! It was such a hassle because even if after I cleaned it. Sooner or later down the lane... My room would go back to it's old self. But since I don't keep a lot of stuff (I was such a hoarder back then..), there's just generally less stuff to clean. Also, I made it a habit to put back my things at their designated spot.

And because I feel the satisfaction of a less cluttered mind when I see less clutter, it has become an addicted habit of mine to clean when I'm free. So, cleaning actually makes me happy lols.

Lastly...
Back then, I never really understood Minimalism. Thought it was just a style. haha I was so wrong!

It was a way of living. It was about understanding what was important to me and keeping what I needed rather than what I needed 'just in case'.

1 comment: