Friday 17 June 2016

4 Simple tips for students on how to present presentations better.


When I was a university student, presentations wasn't a big challenge for me. I've always been the girl who would be all the more willing to be the one to present for my group. Being an extrovert helped... but! I wouldn't accredited all to it. Here's a few tips that helped me and might be useful for you..



1. Keep your slides short, simple and direct.
Again and again and again, I see students have essays on a single slide... Ain't nobody got time for that!

Keep it short - don't be afraid to use many slides. If the words are overcrowding, split it to a few slides.

Keep it simple - Make your slides easy to read. Don't let your readers' eyes are fly everywhere. Don't confuse them, create focus.

Keep it direct - Flesh out the main points of your speech and if you're going to explain that point in your speech, create mystery by omiting it out of your slides and only in your speech. So, it doesn't look like you're reading your slides word by word.

2. Know what you're going to say and what to explain
Pre-plan your speech. Never, I repeat, NEVER expect that words will just pop out of your head during your presentations! Usually, the opposite will happen..

Write down what your going to say. I would suggest writing in bullet form like below:
 Title
  • Main points 
  •  explanations
I never encourage writing a whole written speech because (unless you have amazing memorization skills) you will never remember it fully. And when you forget halfway, you'll most probably forget the rest.

I recommend bullet form is because it's easier for your eyes to flow though the points compared to a paragraph form. The beauty of bullet points is that if you forget one point, you might still remember another.

Another thing is that it makes it easier to practice and most importantly to improvise. A bullet form dissects your script so rather than memorizing a whole story you're memorizing ideas or points of a story. There's more freedom to exchange words when you forget what you wanted to originally say and there might be times where you need to shorten your presentation. You never know what to expect on that day!

3. Practice, practice and practice!!
This is the key to a great presentation! Once I'm done with my slides and my script, I would always practice my presentation exactly the way I would like to present on the day of the presentation.

lol. I swear when I practice, there were many times where I would trip on my word or mispronounced it. Saying the words out loud will help you get used to the words in your speech and realize any flaws in your speech.

Practicing it also helps you memorize your speech and create links from one point to another. I find that practicing exactly like you're having the real presentation really trains you to be mentally prepared and remember the flow of the presentation.

As spontaneous as I can be and as active as I am on speaking infront of people, practicing beforehand is so crucial to me!

4. Mind your body language and your speed
I still have to remind myself this. Be aware of your body language and how fast you speak.

Know where your hands are and practice the movement of your arms. Have a mirror infront of you and watch how you present. Try your best to limit your fidgeting and don't constantly be pacing. Know when and where to walk.

Don't rush your words. The audience or your lecturer might not be able to catch what you're saying. Be wary of your speed and if you catch yourself speeding like a bullet, pause (don't pause too long though..) and change your pace. But don't go too slow...

Have some variety and personality in your speech. Know when to get excited and when to give impact.


Well, that's it for me! Toodles!! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment