Monday 11 April 2016

Book Review: How to Talk to Anyone by Leil Lowndes

Source: The Works
The Author, Liel Lowndes
Source: Abc of success info

After reading this book, I can see why it's a bestseller. I really enjoyed reading this book but alas it's not free from criticism (like its just rubbish and kinda stuck up) but what isn't? (I ain't gonna cover that xP)


In many ways, I believe this book was very beneficial to me and help me raise my confidence as well as gave me a setting stone on how to improve my communication skill. Since young, I've always been an extrovert and had no problems chatting away with people I just met. But as I growing up, I found myself in a lot of awkward spots and a quiet, shy nature appeared in before me. This book gave me a certain awareness and preparation when it come to keeping a good conversation.

So what's this book about? It gives you simple tips and tricks to turn you into an excellent communicator and conversationalist.

What's great about this book is that the advice comes in bite-size chapters that are easy to consume and are easy to refer back. She has a short summary for each chapter so it's easier to refer back instead of skimming through the chapter again.

She gives interesting examples to relate to and I do love how she admitted there was a time she herself weren't sure what to say during a conversation.

Her advice are easy to understand, easy to catch and easy to implement. Well, not that easy to implement when we have habits contrasting that. But not that hard to the point we need intense training and hard work. The tips are simple such as delaying your smile a few seconds when meeting new people or having a good posture with your chest out and your chin up.

Source: Business Insider
Source: Business Insider

What I also realized from this book is that being a good conversationalist is like how you need to prepare to be a good speaker. When you want to speak in front of an audience, you make sure you have the right outfit. You double check you have all your material. You practiced your speech a few times and prepared speech cards just in case.

Its the same because you have to be prepared as well. The author points out that you should read the newspaper beforehand so you'll have a topic people know and can discuss about. You should prepare answers beforehand for questions most people will ask (ex: where are you from? where do you work?) and not just one word answers but answers people can inquire further.

I never thought of it that way before. When I went for parties or meetings, I always 'winged' it and didn't always end in my favour. Sometimes, I can't find topics to talk about or couldn't find similar interest with the other party.

So this book will help you prepare to avoid those awkward situations and move the conversation to a more intimate one. Wholeheartedly recommend this book for noobs (like me xD) who're not sure what to say around people they're not familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment