Friday 2 October 2015

Tech Review: Is Iflix worth RM8 a month?

rodelflordeliz
I tried out the 14 days (Now, they have a 30 days trial!) and soon ended up with a year's subscription.
All in all, here's my experience with Iflix (-plus with a later 6 month update)



Yes please! (The Pros)

(1) Love the video quality and watch history
It's great definition all the way! And you don't have to wait for it to download (Unless your internet suck... then expect some lagging and change in quality). And if you need to stop halfway, you don't need to memorize where you stop. They save a record for you!

So you can see what episode you've watched and what time you stopped watching. (I see my mom has been watching her Koreans haha)


They'll also automatically ask you if want to continue where you last stopped,
Image source: Iflix
(2) Great lineup of shows
They have a great selection of popular shows like Modern Family, 2 Broke Girls, Arrow, Agents of SHIELD, Once Upon A Time and lots more! They also have popular movies like Avengers, Mission Impossible, Harry Potter and classics like Forest Gump and Mean Girls.



Image source: Iflix


I think what's even great is that they also have a selection for Anime, Korean shows and local shows as well.



Image source: Iflix


I also love how they have an option for "Kids Only" so you can change it whereby they only show kids cartoons. So, I can keep my little sister busy hehe (and safe to know she's not watching American Horror Stories or something...).

So you can change from this...


to this...

Image source: Iflix


(3) Cheap
RM8 a month is a good deal comparing to paying for Astro... It's not an auto deduct system (which I think s great). You can pay a yearly payment of RM96 (RM8 a month) or pay RM10 a month if you don't want you pay a yearly fee.

(4) Convenient
I love the phone app option Iflix gives. There are times when I'm just too lazy to on my computer so using my phone to watch shows is great! I can watch it anytime, anywhere. And I think the best part is that you can choose which episode you want and not being stuck to follow a certain TV schedule.

iflix Press Release image


(5) Multi-user
Let's be honest, I can't be expected me to watch the videos everyday and fully use it every month. If my days get busy and don't have time (or not interested) to watch, it might seem like a waste since I pre-paid the whole year. What compensate this is that my subscription can be use for a maximum of 5 devices. I think that's great option! So, I can share with my family and it won't seem like a waste since there will always be someone using it.



Ugh... No!!! (And the Cons)

(1) Not as updated
This does not surprise me. Not even Malaysian TV channels are not as updated as the internet. So, I'm cool if they don't have the latest episode yet. What I do hope is the have all the ended seasons available. I was quite disappointed when they didn't have season 2 for Black Orphan (but I guess it's still new since it just started season 3 this year) and all the seasons for family guy (they only have 2 of the recent seasons).

(Update! lol they just added the new season of Family Guy! with a new layout to the site! - Oct 2015)

Image source: Iflix


(2) Still growing their selections
Yes, they have a wide number of shows and series but (being blunt here) not as much as what you can get "online". I'm still waiting for the Game of Thrones (hint hint to Iflix ;P)

(3) Missing subtitles!!!
I was quite turned off by missing English subtitles for one of my dear anime.... Malay was available though... Was quite surprised since I didn't have any issues with most of the animes and my mom didn't find any issues with her Koreans... Maybe it was a glitch... but just had to put it out there.



Final say (Note that I am not sponsored to say this)
For me, I hesitated because they're still new and there's a lot of "options online" (wink wink. if you know what I mean). But after I weighed the pros and cons, I really think it's worth the price (and well.... the Anime section sealed the deal for me haha my inner Otaku took over me!). I think it's a great platform to support and I do hope to see more things on Iflix.

So for me, its a...
THUMBS UP!

Image source: fastcodesign

Update: 06/04/2016

Well, it's about half a year since I've been subscribed to Iflix. But sadly... I haven't been using it as much. I think I was on a series craze at that time. Now, I'm not into watching american tv series so much... So my interest with Iflix has dropped...

I still think it's worth it for those who like to watch shows and reruns of movies but I'm not that type. Once is enough for me and their anime selections are not growing as much.. A few updates but barely anything..

But if you're sharing with your friends and family, I believe it's worth it for the price. So if you're not using it, at least someone will.

No comments:

Post a Comment